Being a great blogger can be achieved without being a great writer, but it is easy to lose certain types of readers if you make silly mistakes with spelling or grammar. Here are 5 easy mistakes to avoid.
- Your / you are: Use â€˜yourâ€™ when showing ownership, as in â€˜your blogâ€™ and â€˜you areâ€™ when you mean â€˜you areâ€™.
- Effect / affect: Effect is a noun â€“ you can create an effect, while affect is a verb â€“ someone affects someone or something else.
- A company is always singular e.g. â€˜Dickens and Jones is opening a new branchâ€™, rather than â€˜Dickens and Jones areâ€¦â€™
- Could of, would of / could have, would have: Never write â€˜could ofâ€™ â€“ the correct English is could have. This applies for would, should, etc.
- Itâ€™s / its: Itâ€™s is short for â€˜it isâ€™, while â€˜itsâ€™ is a possessive pronoun. E.g. â€˜Itâ€™s going to be a long dayâ€™ or â€˜My blog has rather lost its wayâ€™.